Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The 5 Senses

We all remember the five senses right? Sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. (an embarrassing confession - I had to look them up, I kept forgetting taste.) I was just thinking this afternoon how useful the sense of smell has become in my day to day parenting experience. For example...



This afternoon:


Abby-"Mom, Madison ate all of the cinnamon bread. She did, she ate it all gone."
Me- "Let me smell your mouth."
Abby - (without letting me near her face) "Well, I just had one piece, and Madison had like five pieces."


This morning:



Me-"Madison, did you brush your teeth and hands?"
Madison- "Yes."
Me -"Let me smell your mouth and hands."
Madison- (as she runs back to the bathroom) "Ok, ok, ok, ok..."


A few days ago:



I smelled the ominous smell of some sort of cleaning supply, and I was clearly not cleaning. I ran upstairs.


Me- huge gasp, "Chase, what are you doing spraying Goo Gone all over your feet." and all over the carpet by the way...
Chase - "I'n just cleaning them."
Me- (in a panic, how on earth did he get that!) "Did you put it in your mouth?"
Chase- "Um no, um yes, um no."
Me- throwing him in the bath tub "Open your mouth this instant and let me smell"
Chase - "Ok"

He opened his mouth wide and I was more than relieved to smell nothing more than Cinnamon Toast Crunch on his sweet breath! What a relief. Time to childproof everything again, especially since Chase has a certain attraction to knives, scissors (see the following pic), sticks and, apparently, cleaning products. He looks so innocent. Do not be deceived!

Anyone else have close calls with cleaning products, unwanted haircuts, or tricky ways to get the truth out of their little ones? Please share.





4 comments:

April Cobb said...

I am laughing so hard that I am weeping looking at that picture of Chase's eyes. It is evident that he is up to no good.

And I wonder if that sense of smell thing is genetic because Jay always seems to smell it if I leave the laundry in the front loading washer after the cycle is done for any amount of time. He is CERTAIN that everything in the washer is mildewed and destroyed. He never asked before he married me whether I was any good at doing laundry. Watch out for those Cobbs and their sniffers. Evil doing spouses and children don't stand a chance.

staceygriff said...

Kiah had an unwanted haircut does that count. We were driving from Cali. to Utah and Sofia fell asleep next to Kiah with gum in her mouth. By the time we got to Tooele(to Mark's brothers house) it was all tangled up in Kiah's long hair. The next day she got a blunt bob haircut. Not exactly what you were asking for but it was an unwanted haircut. I love the eyes also on your son. I get that look from Miles all the time.

Tamee said...

I hope you remember me, Tamee, Keith's wife? We stayed a night with you guys.
We're so glad you started a blog. It's such a great way to keep in touch, and not just at Christmas. Chase is so big. You were pregnant with him when we were out last. And the girls are all grown up.
Glad your in blogland.
Tamee

GeorgiaBecksteads said...

I had the cut of the hair problem with both the girls. Maybe that's why I keep the boys hair short! Once, though, when Jake's sideburns got long enough, Natalie decided to trim them up!