Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Traditions

I used to think that we weren't very good at doing Christmas traditions, but as I listened to my kids talk (well, actually just Abby talk) about all the things we do at Christmas I realized that we do have some traditions.


We decorate outside. Granted, it doesn't take much effort, but the kids love it. (I think I warned all of you about this at Halloween.)





We go to the same tree lot every year and pick out a tree. The kids always get a picture in front of the giant Santa and the picture is always washed out because of the sun.

We always go to the ward christmas party and the kids sit with Santa. Madison has always been fascinated by Santa and she sat on his lap about 6 times this year at the ward party. It helped that we were right on time and there was only one other family there. Whenever we couldn't find Madison we looked over by Santa and there she was either on his lap or watching his every move from about three feet away. When Santa left and we started to eat dinner Madison was very curious about where he was.



madison and her BFF, aka- Santa.

We have some other traditions too, like Gordon's work Christmas party (where Santa comes to visit too), neighbor gift delivering and Christmas eve pizza. But those things haven't happened yet.

If I get any good pictures I will post about those things too. So far it's been pretty fun and the kids are getting excited. I am excited too. I think I did pretty good on gifts this year, especially for Gordon. I think I might even see him excited! It's hard for Gordon to show excitement about gifts, but I think I might have done it this year- and no, it's not a Caribou Hunt or a Ford F-150, although those would be guaranteed to elicit some excitement from him. I'll let you know how I did. What are you most excited for this Christmas?

4 comments:

staceygriff said...

I'm jealous that your tree picking photo's looks the way it does because of the sun. I think we pick ours out in the rain every year and then have to leave it in the garage until it dries. I miss those sunny December days in Cali. I love traditions and I think that's what I get the most excited about this time of the year. We make potato donuts on Christmas eve. That's one of our traditions. Have a Merry Christmas!

Shannon said...

Adam would be soooooo jealous of your Christmas decorations in your yard. He begged this year to decorate but we didn't have it in us this year. I think Thanksgiving wore us out! We are hoping to grab some fun things during the after Christmas sales!

April Cobb said...

Okay, so the Christmas Blow-up decorations in your yard are... well, you know how I feel about those. I would be embarrassed to be your friend, if I weren't your relative. But I am also your biggest fan (whether you are willing to admit or not) so I embrace you and your wacky but fun for your children outdoor decorations.

On the other hand, I am starting to think that Madison is as bad as Trey when it comes to strangers. And you know, Santa is really just a stranger. I have witnessed as she sat on the laps of a strange photographer and other individuals. I guess Santa is better than many other options though. And it's totally Madi's guy, you know? He brings presents and let's you sit on his lap, then gives you candy! She hits the jackpot! If she ever runs away, I would check the North Pole first!

Jen said...

Sweeeet! I love Christmas traditions. One of ours is a prime rib dinner on Christmas DAY! Love it! My mouth is watering right now. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas with your sweet family.