Thursday, April 25, 2013

Not what I was expecting.....

After I just finished posting all about our Spring Break, I went into the kitchen and began cleaning up.  (literally about 10 minutes ago.)  I was looking through the mail and saw an envelope from the school district.  I was really relieved because a few days ago I realized I had forgotten to write down the date for Madison's next IEP meeting. I know it's coming up and I know the school sends us a notice before hand so I was anxious to read the form and get the date in my calendar.    This IEP is a big one for me because Madison will be transitioning to a new school next year and I have been very worried about it. I worry about her all the time.  I worry about her academic progress, her emotional progress, her social progress etc....  When you have a child who has struggled as much as she has I am not sure you ever stop worrying.

So, you can imagine my complete surprise when instead of finding an IEP meeting notice,  I found the following letter.




WHAT!!!  We had no idea.  About this honor, I mean.  What we do know is that she has come a long way in the last year and a half.   Especially this school year.   She has just blossomed in every way.  She has some absolutely adorable friends in her class, a fantastic teacher who loves her and nurtures her, and a new confidence in herself and her academic abilities.  Even with all the growth, I still worry so much about her.  But, I am so grateful for the growth she has made and I am so proud of her.  And clearly, others have noticed too.  I have no idea what this evening is about, who will be there or even if it is that big of a deal to any one else, but I don't really care.  It is a big deal to her, and to our family, and it feels like a nice reward after 9 years of intense work, worry and growth.  I hope it give her even more confidence in her abilities and helps her transition into the new experiences that are ahead.

Thank you to anyone who is reading this that has had any part in Madison's life.  From Primary teachers, to our nannies, to our family and friends, each of you has loved her and helped her overcome some big challenges in her life.  She soaks up all that love and uses it to face her fears and get to work.  Thank you.  You will probably never realize how important you all have been to her, and to our whole family.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Beautiful! Beautiful. I am so happy for you and proud of Maddie. She is a shining, darling sweet girl.

Pack of Wolfs said...

So excited! Her cousins think that is awesome.