Thursday, March 11, 2010

Did I Ever Tell You About That One Day....

So, I was going through some pictures when I happened upon a series of photos I took documenting one of the craziest days ever in our family. And, since this blog is for posterity sake I probably should document it while it is still in my memory. And notice, I didn't say fresh in my memory, because it's already fading. So with my post (4) baby brain, which brain should excuse any and all craziness on my part, I will attempt to recreate this miserable, awful, no good, very bad day.

But first a little timeline, just so you can understand the depth of the miserableness.
Saturday, July 18th, 2009- Mason was born.
Monday- Mason and I came home from the hospital.
Tuesday- we had to take Mason to Oakland Children's Hospital for a check with a Cardiologist. (He was born with a small hole in his heart. It's still there, but not a big problem. But a stressful experience nonetheless- wait... is that a real word?)
That brings us to Wednesday.
Oh, Wednesday.....

It all started out fine, until Chase decided to be a good big brother and open a toy for Mason that was all nice and tight in it's packaging. Even with 4 adults standing inches away, rather than asking for help he decided that with his amazing (really, truly amazing) scissor skills he would DO IT HIMSELF. First, we hear Chase scream. Then we hear Gordon yell. Then the girls panic. Then the blood came. I handed the baby to my mother in law, grabbed some towels and immediately got in the car and told Gordon to drive to Urgent Care. After an hour long scream fest wrestling match we emerged with a little finger looking so sad like this.


It had to be wrapped for days like this.
Chase called it his poor finger. We would ask him to do something like shut a door, or clear his plate and he would make a sad face and say, "I can't because of my poo-uh poo-uh fing-uh."

We got home from Urgent Care and I was exhausted. I was sitting on the couch and Madi was in the kitchen. I don't know what possessed the child to do it, but she decided to go ahead and see if the stove just happened to be hot. Well, it was. And I thought she was just being dramatic to get attention. You know, because Chase had gotten a lot of attention so it was just her turn. So I told her to stop crying and that she was ok. When I finally got around to really looking at her finger (yes.. a few days later - I had a newborn!!!) this is what I saw. Can I just say- Mommy guilt galore!




So a few hours after the Madi drama, we had a check up with a home health nurse. Besides all the wounds that had happened earlier in the morning, I was pretty sure everything was fine with the baby and I wasn't too worried about it. The nurse was friendly and kind and very sweet as she explained to me that I was UNDER-FEEDING my baby.

I was ready to cry.

I guess it's true what they say. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself!

Just Kidding- Abby is feeding a plump and healthy 1 month old Mason in this picture!



Aye, Aye, Aye .... Stitches, burns and starvation. That's what we are all about here.


I am relieved to say that 7 months later all signs of that day are almost completely gone. Chase and Madison hardly have any scars and I am pretty sure Mason recovered from the earlier diet that he was apparently on.



He's a cute little chubby guy!

So, I won't feel bad if you never want me to watch your kids. I think I would understand. Days like this make it easier to feel good about the fact that Mason is our last baby. What would one more baby do to my brain? It's probably better not to find out!

7 comments:

GeorgiaBecksteads said...

Way to use the word "nonetheless"! Did you know Alyssa has holes in her heart? It is common and they usually close on their own, but Alyssa had to do a EKG and echo (put under for that) when she was 8 weeks old. What kind does Mason have? It doesn't look like it's affecting his growth. :)

Isom Family said...

SWEET!! You told that story perfectly, I can seriously imagine all these events unfolding in my head. Thank goodness your kids are adorable and they can get away with making your life hard at times. At least now I know who not to call for a babysitter :) I hope nonetheless is a word because I use it all the time.

Shannon said...

I love that story!! I remember hearing about it but reading it was so much better. What an experience! Miss you guys!

Amie said...

Oh dear... those finger pictures... I'm feeling a little oogie.

Your family picture in the post down is so cute. I love thinking of you with 4 little ones, I would love to get to really catch up with you but for now I enjoy the glimpses into your life through your blog.

PS - I can't believe you are Primary President too! You have a lot on your plate.....

April Cobb said...

I have never heard about any of that. You know why? Because it is just a series of one tragedy and nightmare after the next sometimes. They all have all their fingers, toes, feet, and hands to this day, so I am sure that everyone will survive. God Bless the Beckstead family!!

Isom Crew said...

I ran into your blog via Courtney. Yay! Maybe we will have contact after all. I do you like you believe it or not. I'm so sorry about that horrifying scissor story and your baby was still so new. You must have been so frazzled after that. I'm glad everything turned out well. Mason is so cute! I don't know if I've seen him in real life. Can it be possible?

staceygriff said...

When it rains it pours, right? Luckily with time we all move on and amnesia kicks in a little.:)When Kiah was just learning to walk she stood up to the oven when we were cooking Thanksgiving dinner and she burnt both palms. For thanksgiving dinner both hands were bandaged. It made me feel like an awful mom. She survived. Kids bounce back so fast. Hope you are all doing well. Your family is beautiful.